Friday, January 21, 2005

KIF_0201KIF_0208
KIF_0048KIF_0174
KIF_0030KIF_0044
KIF_0254KIF_0257

I've never been one to carry cameras around. If you know me then you also know that I do not like to have my picture taken. In family gatherings I will volunteer to be the picture-taker so that I can escape the eye of the camera.

A few weeks ago I got a kyocera, a tiny thing you can hold in one hand and shove into a pocket but which takes both pictures and movies. I think I was also enchanted with how the entire thing twists in half to position the lens. It reminds me at least of those transforming gadgets and toys.

Since then, I've taken it out only once in a while to snap a photo. I've posted a few above. From left to right, top to bottom, they are: A building on Market St, Odd people at a bus stop in the Mission, PapaToby's - a cafe I am often at, DJs Sensei and Phelan playing at a friend's birthday party, Me, My shoes, A couple shots of friends Pyotr and Lisa.

Sometimes, oddly enough, I'll just look through the lens at the world around me without ever pushing the button that captures the image. For a moment, I'm enjoying the world as it is seen through a lens without feeling the need to then take that image home with me. It is like leaning over on a beach to wonder at a shell without feeling you have to pocket it and later mount it on some shelf. Is it a theft? Is it a fight against the ephemeral?

1 comment:

alexibee said...

I really like this. I do the same thing with my camera, and I worry that my friends will think me insane. Though I guess I could just pass it off as unfavorable lighting or say that I changed my mind about the picture I had intended to take, I find myself doing it unconsciously, trying to preserve something or find a subject worthy of capture in my view.